Join us for a comprehensive review of research on plastic in the oceans, plastic toxicity, the costs of disposability, and ways that we each can shift to more life-sustaining materials. Leaders in conservation and ocean science will highlight the issues and describe solutions to the plague of plastic pollution.
For students, teachers, business managers and owners, civic leaders, citizen activists – everyone committed to a sustainable world.
Conference: Sat March 29, 10 am – 2 pm. Registration by Mar 26: $35 General; $25 Green Sangha sustaining members and Students (must show current ID at door). After Mar 26: $45. Register here. Community Hall, Lafayette Library & Learning Center, 3491 Mt. Diablo Blvd, Lafayette, CA 94549
Rebecca Braslau, chemistry professor, UC Santa Cruz
Rohit Kumar, founder, www.BrushWithBamboo.com
Joe Mueller, biologist & instructor, College of Marin
Chris Pincetich, PhD, marine toxicologist
Tom Wright, www.sustainablebizness.com
Where: Community Room, Lafayette Public Library, 3491 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
1. Light, earth-friendly snacks will be provided at registration (9:30-10:00 am). BYO mug for coffee or tea!
2. Brown bag lunch conversation: strategies and campaigns to reduce plastic litter and waste (1:15-2:00 pm). Artisan pizza for all pre-registered attendees (BYO extras), courtesy of Jules Thin Crust Pizza, with stores in Danville & Oakland.
3. Filtered water provided by US Pure Water, http://www.uspurewater.com/. Bring your bottle, mug, or canteen (we’ll have a few spare mugs on hand, too)!
What you will gain
- Learn more about plastics – where they come from, our complex relationship with them, their infiltration into our bodies and our environment, and where we are heading
- Discuss ways to maintain the benefits of plastics while eliminating the negative impacts of litter, waste, and toxicity
- Network with leaders in the campaign to end plastic pollution
- Develop your own plan of action for reducing waste and minimizing your exposures to toxic plastic chemicals
- Enjoy relaxing meditation and a mindful movement break with Debra McKnight Higgins, MBA and registered yoga instructor
You may purchase tickets for either or both events by mail. Send your check to: Green Sangha, PO Box 20261, Oakland, CA 94620. Thank you! For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 532-6574.
Preview/Film Night: Tue March 18, 7-9 pm. $12 donation at the door; $10 advance purchase. Advance tickets here. Feature: Plastic Paradise, a 57-min film about the plague of plastics in our streets, oceans, and bodies
- Film shorts: Indra’s Net; Plastic State of Mind
- Panel discussion with: Tom Wright, SustainableBizness.com; Sandra Harris, www.ecolunchboxes.com; & Samantha Meyer, California Clean Water Action
- Where: Rheem Theatre, 350 Park St., Moraga
Film Night II: Thu Mar 20, 7:00-8:45 pm. This is a fund-raiser for the Interact Club (youth Rotary) of San Rafael High. All proceeds will support their Environmental Leadership trip this summer to Nicaragua with Global Student Embassy. Suggested donation: $5 Students, $10-20 Adults (sliding scale).
- Feature: Plastic Paradise
- Panel discussion: Stuart Moody, www.greensangha.org; Kimberly Scheibly, communications manager, Marin Sanitary Service; & Renee Goddard, Fairfax town councilmember
- Film short: Plastic State of Mind
- Where: San Rafael High School Auditorium. Address is 185 Mission Street, but it’s best approached from 2nd Street. Directions here.